Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day Four - Yellowstone

OK, I'll get to the rest of this post later. It's going to take a while to sort through the photos, there are many!

It turns out that Yellowstone Park is much, much larger than I imagined it to be. I don't think it would be possible to see it all in one day. Especially if you are staying in Jackson Hole and you left the dog in the hotel, thus limiting the time you can spend away from base.

Yellowstone and the Teton National Parks are both absolutely amazing, no question that we are coming back here. We barely made a dent in Yellowstone, we did get to see Old Faithful and the bubbling Mud Paint Pots. All around there are steam vents. It's all so high too, there are some stunning views of ravines (or canyons, or whatever you want to call them). We got to see some wild bison up close. I'll try and write more and sort out some pictures later today.

-----Edit----
OK, so now we are at our next destination, I guess I should put up some pictures from yesterday. Like I said, Yellowstone is absolutely an incredible place. I'm certain that we will be back, does anyone want to babysit our crazy dog for us? :)

Other than seeing more geysers and stuff there are some things that we missed. We didn't see much wildlife, though the bison did make an appearance, we also didn't see the hot springs at the north of the park. They have these little old yellow buses drving around the park, with guides on board. I would love to do that next time.

Last night when we got home from Yellowstone we went into Jackson Hole to try and get some dinner. Everything was booked, well everything in the main downtown area anyhow. We settled on a little chinese restaurant, food was fine, nothing special. I did get some entertainment though... sitting at the table next to us was an English couple obviously on holiday. I was intrigued to listen to them trying to order American Chinese food, and to listen to their comments as the food arrived. It was exactly like my experiences all those years ago when I arrived here.









































2 comments:

Unknown said...

So Fantastic!! The Eames/McCain estate is standing and looks lovely and in order back here in Bay View! Cat't wait to read about the rest of your adventure:)

Anonymous said...

You guys are giving me a mini vacation and some great reminders of my similar trip. Photos are excellent. Similarly I also had the feeling of too little time and so many roads :) We saw many Elk in the Badlands and they were beautiful. Yellow stone is quite smelly don't you think...hahaha. I can never smell sulphur now without thinking of it. Hoover Dam is worth a look but with all the goats all over the surrounding terrain.