Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day Six - Utah and Arizona

Wow, well it's getting kind of hard to remember what day it is anymore and with all the time changes it's getting difficult to know what time it is. Then I have to try and remember what we did yesterday to get this written. I think this is what happened.

We woke up still in Beaver, the aim for today was to reach the Grand Canyon. We took about 20 miles on the Interstate and then headed off on local roads through Utah and then Arizona. It was another beautiful drive, up and down mountains, through passes and across deserts. Utah is kind of a green desert, there are a fair amount of trees but still the land doesn't look especially fertile.

We drove through a bunch more national forest, we should have been writing down the names as we went through but of course we forgot. Interestingly, all of the national forests have welcome signs and they all note "Land of Many Uses", not sure why, but they do.

As we moved further south the desert got more sand, there were fewer and fewer trees. We crossed the Colorado river way up at (I think) Glen Canyon, as far as I can gather this eventually becomes the Grand Canyon.

We drove through many, many miles of Navajo Indian reservation in northern Arizona, it was very dusty, dry and kind of dirty looking. I can't imagine trying to scratch out a life there but I guess people have survived for many thousands of years doing just that.

Finally we reached our destination, I forget for sure but I think it was another 9 hour day in the car. I had a chance to run and take a quick glance at the Grand Canyon while Krista fed and walked the dog, then we went on to the Hotel. I will not say anything about the Canyon, I'll try and come up with some words for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

though the grand canyon was pretty amazing, my two favorite spots out west are dead horse point in southern utah - i believe it's near arches national park, and mt st helens in washington. i assume you're not going to head back north though.